Resources

Canadian Jewish Review [newspaper]

The Canadian Jewish Review was founded in 1921 in Toronto by George and Florence Freedlander. Published in the English language, in many ways its development follows the trajectory of English-speaking Canadian Jews. Its approach was politically mild, moderately Zionist, religiously Reform, and focused on the social achievements of local Jewry rather than on current events. The tide began to turn as events heated up in British-Mandate Palestine, particularly the 1929 attacks on Jews in Hebron; the coming of Nazism in Europe forced world consciousness upon even the most devoutly assimilationist Jewish journalists.

The Review added a Montreal office and edition in 1929 to become a two-city weekly newspaper. In 1966 it merged with the Canadian Jewish Chronicle to become the Chronicle Review, and under this aegis continued publication until 1976. Its long run during the years of greatest upheaval and change in the lives of its readers makes it a central source for the study of Canada’s Jews. The selection digitized here runs from 1921 to 1966, with some years missing and other years lacking issues.

Collection contributed by: Simon Fraser University Library

Search the Canadian Jewish Review

Browse the Canadian Jewish Review

Canadian Jewish Review

Le Canadian Jewish Review fut établi en 1921, à Toronto, par George et Florence Freedlander. À bien des égards, l’évolution de ce journal publié en anglais suit le trajet des Juifs canadiens anglophones. Le journal favorisait une approche politique non controversée, modérément sioniste, en faveur du judaïsme réformé et axée sur les réussites sociales des Juifs locaux plutôt que sur les actualités. Mais le vent a commencé à tourner au moment où la situation est devenue tendue en Palestine (sous le règne britannique), notamment au moment de l’attaque des Juifs à Hebron en 1929. De plus, à la lumière de la naissance du mouvement Nazi en Europe, même les journalistes juifs profondément assimilationnistes ont été forcés de s’intéresser aux actualités internationales.

Le Review a ouvert un bureau à Montréal en 1929, lui permettant ainsi d’être publié dans deux villes à toutes les semaines. En 1966, il s’est fusionné au Canadian Jewish Chronicle pour devenir le Chronicle Review, nom sous lequel il fut publié jusqu’à 1976. Son tirage ininterrompu pendant les années de grands bouleversements et de changements dans la vie de ses lecteurs font de ce journal une source centrale d’informations pour l’étude de la communauté juive canadienne. La sélection numérisée disponible sur ce site couvre la période de 1921 à 1966. Toutefois, certaines années et certains numéros ne sont pas disponibles.

Contribution de la bibliothèque de l’Université Simon Fraser

Search the Canadian Jewish Review

Browse the Canadian Jewish Review