1. Visit the following sites to learn more about the history of the Wayang Kulit Shadow Puppets.
Gamelan Tunas Mekar
Discover Indonesia: Wayang Kulit
Art-Pacific: Guide to Artifacts Wayang Kulit
Semar: Wayang Kulit
Bali & Beyond: Wayang Kulit
The Wayang Puppet Theatre (Video)
Bali & Beyond: Wayang Kulit (Video)
Wayang Kulit Puppet Theatre (Video)
2. Download and view the Wayang Kulit Shadow Puppet videos from the Multicultural Canada Collection.
Drama of the Shadow World
Oral Tradition into Written Tradition
Ramayana – The Kidnapping of Sita
The Journey of the Wayang
Wayang Kulit – Respect for the Puppets
3. Consider the following questions as you research:
Where did the Wayang Kulit originate?
What does Wayang Kulit mean?
What did the Wayang Kulit present?
Why was the Wayang Kulit a popular form of entertainment?
How did the Wayang Kulit impact culture?
Why is it important to protect the Wayang Kulit?
What is the social importance of the Wayang Kulit?
How is culture portrayed through the puppets?
You may wish to use a mind mapping program to help organize your thoughts and record your information. Remember to keep a record of reference information.
4. Explore the collection of Wayang Kulit Shadow Puppets from the Multicultural Canada Collection. Choose the puppets you want to use in your puppet show. To search for particular puppets use the search menu.
SFU Wayang Kulit Shadow Puppet Collection
5. Create a script for your puppet show. The script should tell the story of the Wayang Kulit, including the historical significance and the present importance of protecting it.
6. Using a photo story software create a digital puppet show using your selected photos and script by adding text and spoken audio, along with background music to tell the story of the Wayang Kulit